Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Vacation Etiquette

I just got back from a vacation—two whole days on the Jersey Shore (not with “The Situation” and Snooki, TG, I’m talking about the somewhat classier Long Beach Island) with my family, where blue skies, warm coconut-drenched salty air and lapping waves lulling me to sleep were just a few of the pleasures I experienced. If only there were no “people” there to spoil it. As my brother and I complained on the drive home, maybe we should just move to like East Buttcrack, Wyoming, or something. Somewhere where people don’t flock and annoy. But is that a mere fantasy? As the Countess Olenska cries to her lover in The Age of Innocence, “Oh, my dear—where is that country? Have you ever been there?”

Seriously People! It’s hard enough to escape and get a few measly days of rest and relaxation in today’s cah-razy world. So if you happen to go on vacation, follow these five simple steps to ensure that you don’t F up my (or someone else’s) only days of annual happiness.

1) Talk not on your cell phone loudly on the beach for over an hour while people like me are trying to read. Nobody cares about your mundane, boring, unnecessary conversation. Aren’t you worried about the sand and grease infiltrating your precious iPhone? Get over yourself. You’re. Not. That. Important.*

2) Let not your horrid rugrat invade my golf space while I’m trying to tee off. It takes an extreme amount of concentration to get my hole in one. Yes, I know it’s only miniature golf, but I take it very seriously! You know you have crossed the line when your kid:
     a. steps on the green I’m playing on
     b. rolls around on the green I’m playing on*
     c. enters the cool cave green I’m playing on and walks around screaming oooh and ahh.

3) Butt not your annoying face into my conversation with the maitre d’ at dinner to ask “How long’s the wait?” in your shrill voice while I am trying to secure a table. FYI: I don’t have to wait because I made a “reservation.” So step off.

4) Spread not your belongings across the beach at 7 am, making it impossible for anyone else to sit down. You don’t own the fartin beach. You can’t reserve a spot. You don’t need five hundred beach chairs and you certainly don’t need a family-size tent!

5) For the young, cutesy waitress at The Marlin: Ask not for my ID to make sure I’m of age to drink, only to lean closer to me, squint your eyes, and then say ‘never mind’ when you realize I’m “old” before I’ve even had a chance to fish my license out of my bag. You broke my MOFO heart!

Thanks for your attention to this matter. If you can’t abide by these simple rules, do me and everyone else a favor and stay home. Or barring that, I hear East Buttcrack, Wyoming, is good this time of year!

*denotes hypocrisy.

5 comments:

  1. NOTE TO SELF: Don't go on vacation with Amy if said vacation includes..miniature golf, beaches, restaurants, kids, or other people in general... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is unfortunate that people, whether intentional or inadvertent, can affect someone’s vacation. A vacation should be sacred and perfect. We work like rats, day in and day out for 'the man' (white people), live off crumbs just to survive, sometimes even resorting to tricking just to make rent. A vacation is a gift from the heavens. A period of days where you can disconnect from the world and retreat to cabana on the beach, a shack in the woods, or if you’re Pam, the largest cruise boat in existence. Your vacation should be filled with relaxation, heavy drinking, leisure activities (gondola?), and copulating with chics you meet at the local dance club. It should not be tampered by annoying people that do the things in the above essay. But, it will be. Because people are annoying. It's unavoidable. The best thing you can do when someone sticks their nose in your business, is take a deep breath, take a sip of your pina colada, and just smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would just like to add that the cruise ship had the best pina coladas in existence (while Eric chews on pina colada gum as a substitute). That's all! Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you made a "reservation"???? planning on advance??? you are changing!!!

    anyway, that girl at The Marlin, think about it: she though for a moment you were under 21! C'on! 21!!!
    It was only for a moment, and then probably realized: hey, she looks like 25, I don't need to check her ID...
    :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. and I still have not read anything as disgusting as sitting next to a 70 years old couple, she in top less and him with a speedo...

    ReplyDelete