Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The 'Club'

As a 34-year-old commitmaphobic train wreck, I’ve sworn off reproduction. Why pass on all sorts of neuroses to my offspring? And besides, kids, for the most part, annoy me. I don’t think their bratty antics are cute or squeal-worthy. I don’t feel the need to hover in a circle around a coworker’s newborn. And I can’t relate to anecdotes about how endearing they are. Exception to the rule: My three BFFs’ adorable children who I TOTALLY LERVE and brag about as if they are my own.

So last week, I was called upon to babysit one of my Bff’s newborn. Despite the fact that I'm the last person on Earth who should be trusted with a child (kidding), I accepted with delight. It started off easy enough. I met my friend close to a park on the Upper West Side, and was told that all I had to do was wheel the little angel around in her carriage for an hour while my friend attended an appointment. I started off down a tree-lined path when suddenly I noticed something weird. Whereas usually New York City residents walk briskly by with barely an acknowledgement, I suddenly had like 40 new friends.

It all started when the baby began to cry and I lifted her out of her carriage to comfort her. Two women immediately approached with a pair of golden retrievers and hovered.

“What a beautiful baby,” one gushed as I smiled proudly, as if the mother.
“Thanks, isn't she?” I said smugly (any attention is good attention!).
“How old is she?”
Oh shit! I froze, trying to calculate the weeks since she’d been born. “Errmmm…”
“You don’t know how old your baby is?” The woman said, her eyes suddenly narrowing. Uh oh. I was a bad mother.
“Ugh, fine. She’s not mine. I’m just the babysitter,” I said, crestfallen.
“Oh. Well still, she’s gorgeous. Soulful eyes.”

I continued down the path where similar incidents occurred. Everyone and their mamma literally crawled out of the woodwork to greet me, smile, coo and wave. I’d become a part of some strange sect. The Mother’s Club.

“How old?” one mother barked, turning her own baby to face me so that I could size it up and provide a compliment. “Looks just like you,” another one said as I shouted thanks, hijacking my friend’s reproductive success. When the baby cried, I got looks of sympathy, shrugs and eyes that said, “I know what it’s like.” Even the preggos wanted to be my friend, smiling at “my” baby and rubbing their bellies in anticipation.

When the baby started to cry again, I took out a bottle and fed her. As she slurped down the milk, an old man approached. My faux mother brain instantly thought: friend or perv?

“Did ya get enough gin in there to get that kid to quiet down?” he asked. I couldn’t help but laugh.

As the hour began to wind down, and she was still crying, I knew I had to go where I’d never gone before. The diaper change. Frantically searching through the diaper bag (root of all evil and clutter), trying to get the protection pad under her butt, and unsnapping her little outfit, all without staining anything, had me in a panic. I actually had to remove my jacket, as I was sweating. I had no idea what the etiquette was for changing a child. The club members passed me with sympathetic nods.

Finally I picked her up by the feet and hung her upside down like a Thanksgiving turkey. As I cleaned her, she smiled away, ignoring my poor technique and probably just happy that I finally figured out she didn’t want to lie in her own poop anymore.

Alas the babysitting session ended and I reluctantly handed her back to her mamma. I felt like we’d been through a lot together and thought for a split second…maybe it would be nice if…but alas, I quickly regained my sanity and happily resumed my position as faux aunt rather than future mamma.

11 comments:

  1. UUUGH. I'm running out of time to be a cool, hip, fun, YOUNG uncle! Nobody wants to have a square old fart for an uncle. Just have a kid already. Besides, you know mommy will want to take care of it 24/7. DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plug in that biological clock already, would ya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. aiaiai
    Your natural instincts are coming to life...
    :-p

    But you take care... this "club" thing is real. Maybe, in a short time, your BFFs will start to see you as an alien because you are not one of them anymore and will prefer to find a new BFF with a baby!

    PS
    I would have loved to see the face of the first woman when she first though you were a mother that didn't know how old is her child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I'm going to start with a departure from previous convention and comment on this blog entry as a piece of writing rather than its content. This is, for me, one of your best works yet. I'm right there with you in the park. I can picture you and the other people -- expressions, intonation. I love this:
    ---“Looks just like you,” another one said as I shouted thanks, hijacking my friend’s reproductive success.---

    It's very descriptive, funny, and I get a good sense of your feelings of faux pride and then of protecting the baby from the probable perv and then being flustered with the diaper change. Well done!
    +++
    Also: Why don't we form our own club of faux aunts? I've discovered my many hours of having no responsibility toward anyone and just lounging and watching "Supernanny" (and, let's face it, "The Dog Whisperer") have really paid off when babysitting friends' kids. They're all adorable and smart and magical and funny, and they have an uncanny knack for knowing just when I start to feel a twinge of regret for not having reproduced -- that's when they throw lovely tantrums and their parents just have time to blink before they see my heels on the other side of their doorway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Jana about the writing of this blog post: it's been the best since you started!

    And if you need help with the child, I have also watched lots of episodes of "the dog whisperer": next time the baby cries, forget the milk: poke the baby on the neck with your fingers and the baby will shut up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will never be an alian to me!! And not only did you write beautifully about the experience, but you did a bang up job with the actual babysitting!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous: Take care - amy loves the baby. She may be thinking about running away with her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, this made me howl. Thank you! And my own version of the diaper change occurred 13 years ago. My twin sister's newborn, Alexandra, began to scream exactly five minutes after Kathy and my twin left me with her to go have coffee. Five minutes after they'd said, "Don't worry, she just went down. She won't wake up." After 20 minutes of the screaming, I paged my twin (she's a pediatrician) and then discovered the full, nasty diaper. I decided to try to change the baby. I'd never done it before, although I've seen countless approximations of changing on the big and little screens.

    I didn't know how to dry her off once I'd wiped everything down. I didn't even know whether I should dry her off, but I saw a bag full of cotton balls on a shelf under the changing table and daubed off the water with those.

    BAD idea. She looked like an antique Santa Claus, all pinky-red with a wispy white beard. Then I couldn't figure out how to work the little tabs that closed the diaper. I was completely unthrilled. And it did not change my opinion about procreation in the least: it's fine for others, not fine for me.

    Thanks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really held her upside down by her feet? I've never seen that method. My sister was Mary in the school nativity play and apparently held the baby (doll) by it's ankles.

    Oh well, whatever it takes to get the job done!

    I still think you'll join that club some day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Real moms have to remove their jackets all the time, too. Sweating is part of motherhood! Just putting the baby to bed - she is actually asleep - I start to sweat in the anticipation of getting her to the crib without waking her. This was a great piece of writing and so totally true - everyone loves looking at a baby, too bad they never keep their comments and advice to themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy, I too agree with the writing of this blog. Very entertaining. I disagree with your ability to be able to embrace your inner 'Mamma' in the future.

    ReplyDelete