Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas and Caga Tió


Figure 1. Caga Tió
There are many things I miss about Barcelona—the food, the beach, the barrel-like grannies who sideswipe you for a seat on the metro. But apropos to this time of year, I miss one of the most fascinating Christmas traditions I’ve ever encountered: The Caga Tió (the Poop Log).

Instead of leaving cookies for a round, jolly Santa plopping down the chimney, some Catalan families place a log (traditionally near the fireplace, but it could be elsewhere), which gets “fed” little snacks starting on December 8 (Feast of the Immaculate Conception), until Christmas. In modern times, this shit log stands on four legs and has a little smiley face drawn on one end. (See Figure 1.) The Caga Tió is covered with a blanket to keep it warm. The reason it's fed is so it will later “poop out” presents.

On Christmas Eve, or Day, the family serenades the Poop Log, invoking it to drop a load (of gifts) while hitting it with a stick to move things along. The song has several variations, one of which goes as follows:

caga tió,
caga torró,

avellanes i mató,
si no cagues bé,
et daré un cop de bastó.
caga tió!

Translated from Catalan as:

Poop Log
Poop out torrone (a Christmas cake)
Hazelnuts and cottage cheese
If you don’t poop good
I’ll hit you with a stick
Poop log!


Figure 2. Caganer.
The Catalan fascination with feces doesn’t end here. In their intricate and detailed nativity scenes, there's one figurine that stands out from the rest: the Caganer, or town shitter. This figure has pants dropped and is in the process of defecation (See Figure 2).

For all of you who think I’m smoking hectic weed, or that I’m just obsessed with excrement—you’re partly right! I do love a good poop story. However in this case what I say is true, as confirmed by the gospel (Wikipedia). To purchase your own poop log or town shitter, click here.

And, I’ll end this little lesson in culture (and caca) with an old Catalan saying:

Menja bé, caga fort i no tinguis por a la mort!" (Eat well, shit strong and don't be afraid of death!)

Merry Christmas (Bon Nadal) and Happy Holidays (Bones Festes) everyone!

13 comments:

  1. What's not to love about a cute log you can keep warm, feed, and then beat WHILE getting presents? Sounds like a win win situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome that I wish I had a tradition like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't find this to be so abstract. There are actually a few striking similarities to one of my very own traditions. For one, I too wear a blanket when I poop. I used to use one very similar to the image above that I would drape over my head, but recently opted to replace it with a snuggie(hands free!). With the new hand freedom I can indulge in the second similarity. The small snacks! Now I never enter a crapper without a plate full of assorted hor d'oeuvres. I've always felt that the fresh toaster oven aroma of bagel bites or mozz sticks stimulates a healthy bowel movement. Finally, I too keep a stick in my bathroom. No, No, I don't beat myself with it in hopes my next sinker magically becomes a present...No, the stick is for incase I’m constipated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeaaah! I love our traditions!

    And I'm happy we are starting -thanks to this blog- to export them to the USA. I'm fed up with all this American traditions that are being imposed around the world like Halloween, Trick or Treat, Santa, etc, etc. Enough of American Imperialism! Now it's payback time...
    We won't stop till every American house has a Caga Tió and a Nativity with a Caganer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thing I saw yesterday on TV...
    http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/12/02/5567671-barcelona-poop-statue-is-worlds-largest

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Y Buenas Feces to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THE CAGA TIO! For as long as I have known about this tradition I have been obsessed with it! I am jealous that this is not a life long tradition of my own. (ps: I think I have asked for a caga tio about a million times...AHEM).
    I applaud the Catalan culture for holding pooping in such high esteem.
    However, Josep - you have issues...America is not out to get you and force you to trick or treat. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some years ago I brought a caganer to a few friends and every member of my family. Some were offended (I had to explain that other cultures have other traditions) and some were delighted. In fact, on my recent trip Stateside, a friend took hers out from his hiding place in a desk nook to bring him into the forefront.

    I personally prefer the traditional "peasant" caganer with his look of surprise as opposed to the more modern ones fashioned into the image of celebrities, politicians or athletes. Though, admittedly, who has a better look of combined happiness and surprise than Ronaldinho?

    @Freeburn: Well done throwing Josep off track by reassuring him that we're not out to get him by spreading American evils such as Halloween (which, I believe, has its origins in Ireland?). We Americans are everywhere, just lying in wait for the right moment to strike with the likes of an Abba-Zaba between the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abba-Zaba???? Who chose that name??? Anyway, I see there is peanut butter in that thing, and that's something we have managed to keep out of our borders (and our mouths). There is always a moment when you have to draw a line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Josep: I'm going to the supermarket right now and buy some peanut butter (mantequilla/crema de cacahuetes), which is (and has been for quite some time) available at the finer shops here in your hometown. Try the one at Veritas... yum. I will not, however, be buying any pork scratchins, pigs' feet, or Gula del Norte, which I'll leave to the discerning palates of the locals. (If you click on the Abba-Zaba link above, you will find the answer to your own question!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was someone hittin' me with a stick all night? Cause I just "caga tio'd" enough for 10 men!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. I think I may just have to fund that unpublished novel you've written.

    Signed,

    Your sixth reader.

    ReplyDelete