Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year's Delusions

Happy Fah-reiken New Year Dear Reader(s)!

And happy birthday to this blog, which I started on January 4, 2010, with the same air of post-holiday annoyance about me as I have right now! I began experimenting with blogging, like I'm sure half of America did, after watching the film Julie and Julia. Although I haven't quite inspired the same reaction as that particular blogger, and have not been thrown into fame with a stellar book deal, I do, according to my Blogger stats, have at least one reader in several countries AND one very strange blog stalker. I also started this blog because I was depressed after last year's holidays, had major writer’s block, and thought that keeping a semi-regular blog would at the very least salvage the remaining shreds of creativity that haven't been snuffed out and soul sucked by my day job (medical and business writing/editing).

In looking over the past year of angst-ridden posts, I realized that while the amount of posts per week quickly diminished from two per week to about once a fortnight, I still derive much pleasure from writing my observations, and even more pleasure from the five or six faithful readers who provide witty comments that are often funnier than the blog post itself. So, as I sit to write my list of New Year’s resolutions that I will never follow, I'm making sure that keeping up with this blog is at the top of—well, at least half way down—my list:

My New Year's delusions are as follows:

1. Convert perfect "flabs" to perfect "abs" using any means possible, including ordering strange exercise contraptions from late night infomercials that will only serve as clothing racks after initial use.

2. Wean self off of Biggest Loser, Survivor, Apprentice, and any other pathetic reality show as to be more productive person and to achieve delusion number 1.

3. Be kinder to and more patient with fellow humans
—exceptions:
     a. commuters don’t count.
     b. bratty children don’t count.
     c. teenagers and young adults who text incessantly don’t count.

4. Get up at least twice per week before 6 AM to get an hour of writing in before work in order to finish future best selling novel.

5. Continue awe-inspiring blog writing at least once per week…erm month.

6. Reverse aging process by using plethora of products not so subtly given to me for Christmas from family members tired of hearing about said aging process.

7. Drink wine ONLY once twice ok three FN times per week.
—exceptions:
     a. all bets are off if there is a party, wedding, family gathering, or half  price wine Wednesdays at favorite restaurant.

8. Save more of meager earnings by taking lunch to work everyday, trying to follow delusion number 7 and dumping therapist, who yawns through entire session anyway.

9. Learn [another] new language. No joke. This one’s for real.

10. Keep self from folding in regards to Facebook, Twitter and any other social network in fight for right to privacy whilst using best friend’s account to satisfy stalking needs.

That’s it! Please feel free to share yours in the comments box below. Let’s have a good year people!!

6 comments:

  1. What language are you thinking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I cant believe its been an entire year of your blog. Seems like only yesterday I began my unexpected career as a premier commenter. I must say, you've done quite a good job keeping up with it. 38 posts is impressive! Esp when you compare it to say my blog that only had 2 measly posts in all of 2010. I would definitely like to see you keep it up in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, fellow OOAUW stalkers! And to our blogstress herself, of course.

    A few comments on your resolutions, Miss Amy. You do realize that number 7 allows drinking wine four times a week to begin with. So if there's a party, family gathering and wedding in the same week, that's you set for the week!

    I'll help you with number 8 -- my rates are very affordable. I'll also do number 9 as well. Am thinking French for usefulness, but leaning toward Dutch in helping toward not-so-secret goal of moving to Holland one day.

    And, please, consider me your official sponsor for number 10. If you get the craving, call me -- day or night -- so I can talk you in from the ledge.

    Farewell, 2010. I slough you off like old skin, and look to 2011, with its futuristic sound and better posture with the hope of an innocent but the stance and battle scars of a fighter with her dukes up. Bring it on! (But please, no hitting in the face.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year and happy birthday to this blog!!!

    I just have a few comments over a few of your delusions for 2011...

    First of all, you don't have to make exceptions to Delusion number 3, since we all know those there categories hardly meet the definition of "humans". I thing it would be easier to classify them the following way:
    a. commuters = zombies
    b. bratty children = monsters
    c. teenagers and young adults who text incessantly = maniacsdon’t count

    Therefore, they are not humans, so don't worry about being kinder to them: we all know how to kill a zombie!

    Secondly, I would suggest you to change NÂș7 to "drink as much wine as I can, as soon as it's good wine". Seeing the ratio quality/price you see in the US, you probably only drink wine when a friend comes tu visit with a suicase full of good Riojas ;-)

    Finaly, I suggest French, since you already speak fluent Catalan and Spanish I would be easier and rewarding. Or you could improve your Italian. A lot more than extremely boring Latin I heard somewhere... In any case, the best way to learn a language is COMING TO EUROPE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Resolutions come and go, but lets hope you can keep #5,your loyal fans must have a witty blog in their lives at least once a week, or month! Keep up the good work... And Happy New Year to all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is not the last post, but it's the 1st I read this year so it's the 1st I reply:

    7) do you know that spanish doctors say that a glass of wine/day is healthy? though I have to say that spanish doctors are famous for receiving patients in a completely drunk state and killing more people than they save, but "do what doctor says"... anyway, you don't mention the beer, vodka and whiskey that you take for breakfast, I guess you're not going to renounce them ;) ;) ey, but giving up wine is a good start for getting over your alcohol problem

    9) What about learning spanish or catalonian? though, if you haven't learned them after living in Spain for about 10 years (which seemed 20 for some of us), I doubt you will learn it in the States ;)
    You should give english a chance too, "here" what I say ;)

    Well, you have won a new fan/stalker here ;) though I think all the others are auto-replies from a psychotic mind who sees stalkers in every corner (american paranoia, I guess :D :D :D )

    Take care and happy new year

    ReplyDelete