Monday, February 28, 2011

GPS Makes People Stupid

And that includes me.

We’ve all read about the morons who turn onto a train track because they’re intently following a GPS that hasn’t been updated. And we’ve probably all laughed at the episode of The Office when Michael and Dwight plunge into a lake while following their GPS’s instructions. Plus there's nothing more annoying than people fiddling with a GPS and pressing all kinds of buttons while they’re supposed to be driving.

In fact, one of this blog’s followers had a dumb GPS moment. While I'm ever discreet and won’t reveal names, this particular friend was so obsessed with his/her Tom Tom that s/he once drove to the wrong town for a job interview, even though s/he KNEW what city the interview was in. When s/he arrived to the mistaken locale, tumbleweeds were blowing across the dusty street and whistling wind could be heard all around. His/her answer: “Tom Tom told me to come here!”

I myself once scoffed at owning a GPS, a feeling that was compounded by the horrible mishap of driving home from Long Beach Island, NJ, for FOUR hours with a borrowed GPS set to the voices of Beavis and Butthead. Do you know irritating it is to make a wrong turn and hear “You’re going the wrong way, dumbass. Hehehehe”?

Eventually I broke down and am now the proud owner of a Magellan (we’ll call it Madge). I don’t usually use it, but this past weekend I put it on while taking a different route than usual to my father’s house. While approaching a traffic light I heard the GPS demand that I make a right turn. As my brain had already settled into a low-functioning state while I let Madge do all the work, I blindly made the turn. Not two seconds later, I saw the bright, intrusive flickering lights of a cop car on the prowl.

The worst part? It was a female cop and my charms, or what remain of them, had no impact on her. She was large, in charge, and pissed off. Sauntering up to my window with her hands on her abundant hips and her black hair pulled into a fierce, angry ponytail, she barked whether or not I knew what I’d done wrong.

“Ummm, no” I said, making matters worse. “You made an illegal right turn. There were TWO green arrows pointing left AND a sign,” she said, before stalking off to write me a ticket. I glared at my GPS while I waited for her to come back and toss the ticket into my hand. I then followed Madge’s instructions down through a loop until suddenly I realized I was back at the same fartin traffic light.

“Don’t do it again!” warned my brother, from the passenger seat.

“WTF?!” I shouted looking at Madge closely. That’s when I realized that the right turn the device was telling me to make was in 1.7 miles, not at the immediate light. No wonder I’d made an illegal turn. Thanks for thinking ahead Madge, but NO thanks. As I approached the light, it turned yellow and I sped through it.

“You’re gonna get another ticket!” my brother shouted.

But alas, I didn’t. I arrived at my destination where my father, a police officer, had to hear about the latest in my string of traffic violations dating back to the time I first got my license. My only defense: “But at least this time I wasn’t speeding!” So let this be a lesson to you all. Screw all the Tom Toms and Madges and electronic guiding devices you're using and instead of being their slave Engage. Your. Brain.

7 comments:

  1. Then again there are times when a GPS could have come in handy...I remember a certain trek made to the Jersey shore after Prom...a normally 2 hour trip took, what, 7 hours? I won't tell anyone why, tho!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure that a GPS device can be used at the same time as a brain. The problem is that you have to look at it, look up, look at it, look up, ad infinitum. When I've used one (my friend's one, which has an English accent, and I christened her Melinda!), I have to have Melinda telling me what to do and my friend pointing out what she really means. On a trip to Malaga, however, I did make the next left, but didn't realize it was in the world's smallest roundabout and I was suddenly going around in the wrong direction! Lucky for us, no one else was around, and I ended up just taking a little shorcut onto the street I needed. Melinda did spend a lot of time gently suggesting I turn around when I could.

    And on another occasion, a friend got an iPhone and was obsessed with it, including insisting that we use the GPS feature when going by metro and on foot to a friend's party in a part of town we were not familiar with. Our friend had told us which metro stop to get off at, but my GPS addict friend insisted that another one was closer. It wasn't, and we walked a good half hour to get to the party, which was then up about five flights of stairs, upon which we passed many of our friends leaving, only to arrive to find a verbally abusive barman with no alcohol. After drinking whatever concoctions he was making out of the dregs of everyone's bottles, we later stumbled down the stairs and took a taxi home. The driver did not use the GPS in his cab, and we made it home without further incident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to recognise, I'm a fucking GPS addict (and I don't have a car!!!!): that's because though triangulization is a very simple concept and most of the times there are signals everywhere that tell me where I am and how to get whereever I'm going, the idea of using satellites to track myself in a map makes me feel like James Bond (though the obvious differences between Daniel Craig - or any other actor who's played the secret agent role - and me), and I can't tell you the way I fell when I share my position through internet (paying an abusive 3G connection) so M(other) can know where exactly I am and how long will it take me to arrive to her house for that special dinner at Tarragona; it doesn't matter that she never looks at it though I always tell her to do so.

    Therefore, GPS is like any other new gadget (the cellphone comes to my mind), very useful on the paper, but we the humans are giving it a very bad use (and abuse), and that makes those fantastic gadgets a pain in the ass, the thing is that we can't live anymore without them... The problem is not the GPS, the problem are those who use it

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Recalculating.....TURN RIGHT NOW!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. GPS' are annoying. Technology has made us(humans(well, I guess aliens too)) too dependent, too lazy, too impatient. I recall not too long ago having to print directions from a household computer. Can you imagine? A household computer?! Before that people had to buy and peruse actual maps. FROM A BOOK. What the hell did we do before that? Hire an artist and a hot air balloon pilot to fly out in advance of a pending trip and survey the route?
    Any who, this got me thinking. What's next? What will be the next big gadget that people will go crazy for. And, well, I think I've got it. I call it: GPSex. A small, electronic devise that maps out your love making. Perfect for the timid. Necessary for the indecisive. I can see it now... *female robotic voice* In 5.3 SEc-onds, remOve her BRA. Cup the lEft breast in.. 2.1 sEc-onds. Good. Now, with right hAnd, rEmove undErwEar. Good. VEry good. You are clOse to YOur dEstiNAtion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *face blushing*

    I'll just say one thing: your GPS WAS right. You were probably doing sthg else and not paying attention to what it was saying.

    Madge 1 - Amy 0

    I will also add that my personal experience with my Tom Tom is -on balance- positive. Basicaly, because I don't get to my nerves when I have to go somewhere I don't know. But a proper use of a Tom Tom requires two conditions: 1) you have to pay attention to what it says, and 2) you have to use common sense.
    So when my tom tom tells me to turn left immediatly when I'm on a bridge that crosses the highway, I just don't do it. But if it tells me to turn left in 300 meters, I'll do it, as soon as it's not illegal.
    The only thing I hate from TomToms is when it gets to the point that says: "Turn around when you can". What is that supposed to mean? That it got lost? That it can't find the right way? That it's impossible to get to your destination? I hate that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric, I'm sure there is an app for the Iphone that does that...

    ReplyDelete