Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mixed Nuts

Have you ever been to the kind of restaurant that has long tables at which you are seated with people you don’t know? Presumably the “pro” is to pack in as many people as possible into a small space. The con: you never know what kind of nut job or annoyer you’re going to get stuck sitting next to. FYI: overheard convos aren’t any less annoying in a restaurant just because it’s a place where talking is acceptable.

Take the quaint Italian bistro I recently tried in Brooklyn. To the right was a harmless, quiet couple who I could barely hear (thank you), followed by two old ladies with smokers’ voices who ordered “a half a glass of wine” each. To my left, however, was a painfully obvious first date couple plagued with cringe-worthy convo. The couple looked to be in their thirties, the man a chubby-cheeked dork with thick black plastic glasses of the variety so frequently sported by Brooklyn hipsters. The girl was thin, had an '80s hairdo and a sour puss, and was wearing a hooded sweatshirt. The man’s voice immediately penetrated my space with geeky, radio personality-like flare as he demanded that the girl “not be a lady.” When she looked confused he said: “Don’t be a lady, just don’t be a lady. Actually, be whatever you want to be. Don’t let me tell you what to do…but what I mean is take these [mussels] and slurp them up.” As he explained, he himself slurped one up noisily, wiping drool off of his chin in the process. “Just slurp them up, mussels are meant to be slurped,” he continued, his mouth full. A barely hidden look of disgust flashed across the girl’s face as she opted to scoop her mussel out with a spoon.

“So, you said you’ve traveled all over the world?” she asked. Internet date, I immediately thought, picturing his profile blurb “World traveler seeks equally motivated companion…”

“Maybe it’s better to say where I HAVEN’T been,” he said smugly with a nerdy guffaw. He then continued to name most of the globe. “I haven’t been to Asia. Africa. South America. Antarctica. Eastern Europe….Basically I have been to North America and ALL of the countries in Western Europe, well, those on the Atlantic, except Spain and Portugal.”

Was this guy kidding me? So, he’s been to Canada and three other countries?

She looked equally disappointed as he tried a new tactic.

“Sooo, what’s your favorite dessert?” he quizzed.

“Oh, I like all desserts,” she said, unadventurously.

“Come on, you must have a favorite…let me help you narrow it down. Let’s say you have a choice between…..ice cream, homemade cake, homemade pie, homemade croissant, homemade tart, homemade brownies, homemade muffin…”

As the list went on I asked myself on what planet this was considered NARROWING it down. Just give him an answer, I thought, so I could go back to my meal in peace.

“Well, they’re all homemade...so I’d probably like them all equally.” Weeerwerrrrrrrr. Lame alert.

Dish number two came out at this point—cavatelli with goat’s cheese. They were apparently sharing and ordering a dish at a time (his idea). After a few spoonfuls she admitted it wasn’t up to much.

“Yes…I see what you mean,” the geek mused, looking pensive. “But it’s like…I can TASTE the quality. It’s like, QUALITY food. The pasta has quality. The cheese has a quality, non-processed, non-pasteurized taste to it. But maybe you’re right. Maybe it needs something else. Maybe some sage or thyme to spice it up.”

At this point I think everyone at the table was rolling their eyes heavenward. He then made the cardinal first date sin of complaining to the waiter and suggesting what could be done to improve the dish—this time throwing in parsley and rosemary as a suggestion. (Was he perhaps thinking of the lyrics to "Scarborough Fair" rather than having actual knowledge of food and what tastes good together? I’d venture yes.) The girl squirmed in her seat, looked at her watch.

“Let’s say we get another dish!” he said, undeterred.

“I’m really not going to finish another dish.”

“Well, we’ll share it…”

“Well, if we must…”

“And I know exactly what you want…the pork loin. Right?”

The girl wrinkled up her face. Cardinal sin number twodon’t presume to know what someone you just met wants to eat, or order for them.

The arrival of my food must have distracted me for a moment, 'cause the next thing I knew, their check was on the table and they were leaving.

I immediately thought of Chuck Woolery saying, “Well, I’m sorry your date didn’t work out for you, Samantha. If you’d like to go out with Daniel again, we’ll pay for it, or you could try to see who the audience picked…”

Meantime, I think I’ll try sticking to a table for two.

8 comments:

  1. Maybe you should become a date whisperer and help all these hapless fools have better dates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The couple looked to be in their thirties, the man a chubby cheeked dork with thick black plastic glasses of the variety so frequently sported by Brooklyn hipsters." Eric, is that you?!

    I was on a date once, in Brooklyn as well AND they had the long stranger tables. But me and my date turned out to be the "losers" of our table, because two of the other duos that were next to us started randomly talking, and becoming all friendly, and even started sharing each others food. I'm all for being friendly, but when I go out to eat, I'd rather not be put in an awkward situation where you feel obligated to make some small talk. The tables are cute in theory, but I prefer my privacy please!

    "Was this guy kidding me? So, he’s been to Canada and three other countries?" I laughed out loud, picturing you saying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or... be a date whisperer and help these girls avoid the freaks! Pleeeease

    I'm starting to think that NY is a place where I would have more options...

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the other hand, something good should be said about the guy: at least he knew that Spain and Portugal are in Western Europe, on the Atlantic coast....

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Josep...NY might be a better option for you because you're a freak and would still get girls? ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those family style seating arrangements can be tough. I bet the chef would have spit on every plate if they had ordered more food. Don't you love it, everyone's an expert. This guy probably couldn't even fry an egg. World traveller? Blow me!! Good job Amulet!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, despite the uncanny similarities of Amy's description of the chubby alt hipster, and myself, that was not me at that quaint Italian bistro. I actually would not be caught dead at a quaint Italian bistro. For starters, I don't even know what a bistro is. Second, I don’t know what quaint means either. Third, if you want Italian, REAL Italian, you don't go to a quaint Italian bistro. You go to Olive Garden. Their tagline is 'When you're here, you're family.' And it’s true! I myself have a few family members that work there. They hook me up with all the breadsticks and salad I can eat! You don't even need to talk about jet setting the world when you have that kind of special treatment. I've never actually been there with a girl, but when I'm there all alone, eating my fill of breadsticks and salad like a King, I just know any peasant would feel like a Queen with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that couple sounds like they were made for each other, he's a world-class bragger and she's wishy-washy. If it didn't work out, I wouldn't mind a date with him, if you ever see him again.

    ##Cardinal sin number two—don’t presume to know what someone you just met wants to eat, or order for them.

    Um, especially when it's PORK LOIN!

    @ECOL: I am not sure what a bistro is either, but didn't Jack Tripper own a French one for a while on "Three's Company"? Sometimes after work they'd all go down to the Regal Beagle for a drink, but Larry would inevitably throw a wrench into the night with one of his lecherous plans to hit on women with feathered hair.

    ReplyDelete