Friday, July 13, 2012

The King of the Cruise Collectors

As some of my five readers may know, last year I took a cruise to Bermuda and was baffled by the subculture that is the cruise ship. I quickly learned that cruise goers are in fact collectors, racking up trips like more sophisticated people might rack up original art. Not only do these collectors show off the number of cruises they’ve been on, vessels they’ve boarded, destinations they’ve ended up in and days at sea, they also feel the need to compete with other passengers by asking “how many?” (For more on this past trip and categories of collectors, read my post from last year.)

Well readers, you will be happy to know that this summer I embarked on cruise number 2, officially launching my career as a confirmed collector. No more would I lower my eyes in shame when asked how many I’ve been on.

Or so I thought. The piano lounge of the Norwegian Star, my recent Bermuda-bound cruise ship (I can now say I’ve “done” Holland and Norwegian), was filled with cheesy cruise goers. Everyone came to hear ‘The Piano Man’, an incredible piano player who sang everything from Billy Joel to Elton John to . . . well, whatever, you get the idea. Each night after my three course meal and bottle of wine I’d stop in to listen before the onboard entertainment started. Being increasingly anal with age, and distraught over the fact that Norwegian has no fartin clocks anywhere on board because we are supposed to be “off the clock”, I leaned over into the space of the large old man next to me and tried to read his watch.

“You’ll never see the numbers,” he said, unclasping the monstrosity from his wrist. “The face is transparent . . . check it out.” The five-pound watch was subsequently thrust into my hands. Panicking over the sure spread of norovirus, I did an obligatory look over and handed it back.

“It’s REAL porcelain,” he said proudly. “On my last cruise my watch got wet and broke. Nothing is going to break this sucker. It can go under 100 feet of water.” My eyes widened.
“Where did you get it?” I asked, feigning rapture.

“Home shopping network,” he said, making a face as if I should have known that. Where else? My interest in the watch opened a can of worms and the next thing you know, he’s asking the magic question. “So . . .uh . . .how many?”

“Two!” I say, excited that I can say more than one. “Last year I did Holland.”

“Pfft, that’s an old person’s cruise,” he said, dismissing me with a wave of his hand and obviously unaware of his own advanced age.

“Well, how many have you had?” I asked, crestfallen.

“This is my 64th cruise,” he said. No readers, no typo here. SIXTY FOUR FAHREIKEN CRUISES.

“Holy shit,” I said, forgetting my manners.

“I am a VIP on this ship. When I get onboard, the waiters know my name. You wanna know who I had dinner with last night? The captain, that’s who. I don’t pay for a single drink on this ship. All of them are on the house. Guess what happened to me last night? The captain asked me which I like better, Norwegian or Holland. I say, and this is the truth, I like Norwegian better but Holland offers king crab on their menu. Guess what I get delivered to me tonight at dinner. You’ll never guess.”

“Um, King Crab?”

“You're goddamned right.”

“But how does one rack up 64 cruises?” I asked, bewildered and feeling inadequate.

“I take one a few times a year. And then there are “repositioning” cruises. When the ship makes its way to a destination to start a new trip. You get BONUS points for those,” he says, raising his eyebrows. “My grandson is five, he’s already been on five cruises. A few months ago I got home from a Caribbean cruise, stayed a week, got bored and tired of snow, called them up and said, put me on another.”

Leaning toward me, winking like a used car salesman, he moved in for the kill.

“If you listen to me and take my advice, you take those repositioning cruises, become a member, and take advantage of their onboard kickbacks for booking next year’s cruise, soon enough you’ll be at my level.”

My eyes light up like a slot machine as a voice inside my head says yes . . . one day you can be at his level. On your 64th cruise. Showing off your home shopping network watch to a cruising newbie while your seemingly mail order bride half your age and size sits primly beside you, letting you regale other ladies in the piano lounge with tales of your great sea adventures.

Let me end this tale by issuing a Cry for Help. Please readers. If you ever hear me bragging about hitting double digits . . . if I start to reposition, demand king crab for dinner or spend more time on a boat than on land . . . help me. Oh lordy, help me. And organize an immediate intervention. Preferably on ‘Royal’– I haven’t tried that line yet.

12 comments:

  1. First of all I think I should congratulate you Amy, the word "annoying" has finally disappeared from your vocabulary (for how long?)

    But I am afraid you are already a junkie: when I was in NY last winter and you told me you wanted to buy a house and complained about how expensive they were (among many many other things you complained during the days I was there), and then, immediately after that, you told me you were doing this new cruise. I remember asking you "and how are you supposed to save money for your house - with a decent guest room for me (and, if you want, the rest of your visits)?"... You just shrugged your shoulders.

    It was then when I saw in your eyes and your shakings that you were in that dark world, you were after the "cruise dragon", your whole life had turned in a "trip after trip" since that moment

    I have to tell you though, that a good cruise manager (or "camello" - spanish word for drug dealer which I don't know if it's used in english) would never let you get drinks for free, if doesn't matter if you reach the magic number of "72" (as the man I told you I met in UK who was already planning 2 more for this year), after all it's a bussiness, and this people know too well their customers to lose money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you got some catchin up to do..better start booking the next trip~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your new amazing adventure on the different means of transportation, I just had a doubt/idea in my head: how many beautiful young girls has this romeo seduced on these 64 cruises??? Maybe since he spends half of his life in a place with no clocks, he thinks he's still in his 30s? C'on!!!
    BTW backpackers are the same kind of animal at the end of the day: where have you been before...and you better name 5 or 6 countries, otherwise you're a nobody.

    Love your sense of humor, as always. From Jakarta, Josep

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still fixated on the fact that you held his watch. I hope you washed your hands afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, hilarious! I laughed, I cried... It was better than "Cats"! Wow, in real life (ie, on the subway), you'd never let such a person get away with talking to you, let alone accepting something he handed you. You must have a separate cruising personality. I'm curious to meet that side of you. WHEN did you say our cruise was? You know, the one you said you're going to take all your blog readers on with you?

    I think I forgot what my dad answered when I asked him "how many?" but as many as he's been on, I think it's just in the teens or twenties. I'll have to ask again. Actually, I'll have to ask my stepmother because, although my dad can remember every shrimp he's eaten at the shrimp buffet, I doubt he can remember how many cruises he's actually been on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, well, well. Look at what we have here. Look at what blogspot dragged in. A blog post. What, you think you can just come back after months of no blog entries and expect everything to be peaches and cream? We may just be consonants and vowels sandwiched by punctuation to you, but do we not bleed? Do we not weep? Ok, maybe some people with rare medical conditions may not, BUT I DO. (I actually do both at the same time, it’s this weird stigmata thing where i cry bloody tears, it’s pretty freaky) You may not be aware of this, but your blog is some of the greatest writing this century has seen! Sure it's no Twilight, sure it's no Hunger Games. But it's better than that smut 50 Shades of Gray. Your readers, us, ME, we look forward your posts. To read your witty commentary and relish in your noxious albeit funny take on society. And, to comment upon it. When you don't blog...we don't exist. Do you want that? I know I don't. (Welcome back! We want more posts!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit it... I stumbled across your blog because I lost the remote and got stuck watching an episode of "Chopped". Then I immediately afterward googled "Scott Conant is a dick" and your page is the first that popped up.

    I laughed my head off reading your description of that show, and couldn't agree more. Every show is pretty embarrassing, and they all need to seem to have the nice judge, the drunk/incompetent judge, and the mean "fartbag" as you so eloquently put it.

    Keep up the great work. You now have SIX, count them SIX readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Jana...we will have to book our cruise when you are entirely mobile and healed, as we will be dancing. All night.

    @ECOL: AW thanks for the pressure. I'll try to stay up on my blogs, I didn't realize they had such a far reaching influence!

    @Dino: Could it be an honest and true fan? Not just a family member or paid friend? I'm honored. Thanks for jumping aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am an honest and true fan. I was watching TV last night and it got stuck on Chopped. I couldn't find the bleeping remote. So I gave up and just decided to watch the show. The guy Scott says about something a man cooks, "This.... is a WASTE OF MY TIME!" The chef looked devastated. He had put his heart into a dish that looked pretty good to me. So I just said "What a complete dick" and searched that phrase. Up popped your blog and I read through all of your posts and they are awesome. I am a true and honest fan. I don't know you from anybody, but you have an amazing sense of humor, and you write like very humorous people talk. Your method of writing in a focused and conversational format are extremely impressive. I taught writing for quite a few years and now am teaching other things that are not so fun (corporate training), but I still love to read and read quality work by wonderful REAL writers. I'll keep reading as long as you keep writing.

    I miss my teaching days a great deal, so it is always nice to sign on and find some quality writing from genuinely funny people. It is especially nice when those people are doing it for the love of sharing their stories. I taught elementary level children, and their stories were wonderful, because they were heartwarming, funny, sad, touching, etc. They were always from the viewpoint of a human being though. Not a corporation, not an advertising firm, not a political party. They came from the heart of a wonderful little person who had so much to share and was delighted at the fact that I could guide them in this process of learning how to record those thoughts into tangible little books they could take home and share with their families. I will hold those memories close to my heart forever and nothing will ever be able to replace them. It was my one true joy in life and I will hold it in the center of my heart forever.

    You have that gift. Thank you for sharing it. So many adults forget what a joy it is to write, share, and laugh. Instead they complain, gripe, whine, and treat others as the woman on the bus treated Don Johnson. ;)

    Keep up the wonderful work. I am subscribing to your blog via email as I type this. I'm a real fan. So keep on churning out the great stuff! I'll be watching....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dino: Thank you very much for the flattering praise. You're in. :-) Seriously it is very kind, and nice to know somebody is out there enjoying my writing. Just as long as you're not an Annie Wilkes kind of number 1 fan. I'm kidding.

      Thank you for also not lumping me in with the "complainers, gripers, whiners..." of the world, though, most people who read the blog think I am the biggest complainer of all. But those who know me well know that this is all just for a laugh, and I am not a true angry blogger.

      Well, the pressure is certainly on for me to produce another post in a timely fashion. I will certainly try!

      And lest my other friends get jealous, as they are very territorial, here's to "all my friends" for reading! Thanks SIX readers!!!

      Delete
    2. An Annie Wilkes kind of number 1 fan?!! Hahaha. Now that's pretty funny, and I assure you... I am most certainly NOT that kind of fan. I'm about as normal as a person can get (at least I THINK I am). But on the internet, it's always hard to tell. I understand... anybody can say whatever they want, and there are a lot of people that are very good at putting on a show behind a keyboard, but are really just flat out nuts. Hopefully I come across how I really am. A fairly quiet smart ass who has lived a life full of interesting experiences and can appreciate a good story when I hear/read one and respect those who take the time to put one down on paper or otherwise for the rest of us to enjoy.

      I dated a girl once who seemed to go down the Annie Wilkes path of seeming fairly normal at first glance (although the girl I knew was a head-turner and a half) and just turned out to be sort of a "whackadoodle" in the end. She was intelligent, funny, had truly "lived" and knew about so much. I just always found her so incredibly interesting and she made me laugh hysterically. She was also an extremely gifted writer, and I could read her stuff for days on end and looked forward to every time she'd give me something to read.... but people sometimes take a while to show us what they truly are or maybe it is what they truly are capable of, and in this case... it was scary to be honest. She seemed to have some sort of an addiction to me... or something. I'm not sure what the deal was. She became extremely possessive and then hated me, loved me, hated me, loved me, never wanted to see me again, needed to see me in five minutes, etc. This dragged on for a couple of weeks. What a crazy road that was. Finally I had to just be gone. She told me one day she hated me and loved me and could never see me again. Try to figure that one out. I haven't spoken with her since.

      Sorry about blog-hogging here. Your joke just got me thinking about my former love turned stalker. I miss 99% of the time I spent with her. She was amazing. She just couldn't figure out what she wanted in life I guess... or maybe she just felt she wanted something else more than she wanted me. So be it.

      But I assure you... I'm not a "dirty birdy". ;) I'm just an unassuming guy who likes to read funny, witty, cerebral, observational stuff. You've got a great way of doing it. I'm looking forward to your series of novels. Just don't kill off the main character and crash your car near my cabin. ;) (In the interest of full disclosure.... I have no cabin, but I do live in a city in the mountains... not a rural area, but an actual large city in the Rocky Mountains in a house, and lots of people know me... I live in a neighborhood with many neighbors, so I feel any writers that happened to crash into my lawn would not only be safely airlifted to a first class medical center, they'd also be on the news within about 5 minutes).

      Delete