Friday, January 11, 2013

Just Stay Home

Ok, Ok. I’ve always been somewhat of a hypochondriac, but things are really getting out of control. And as usual, I’m going to blame it on my least favorite of all people: commuters.

My hypochondria started in grade school with things like wanting a broken leg so I could have crutches and get people to sign my cast or wanting the extra platform on my shoe like the boy on Little House on the Prairie who had one leg shorter than the other. I can only posit that these things had to do with wanting extra attention rather than a fear of illness.

Later, in college, there was four-year lapse in my neuroses, when nothing fazed me and I most definitely did NOT worry about germs, illness, adverse drug reactions, being one step away from needing a stomach pump, or all of those things combined. (Only kidding, I would never succumb to such debauchery. Or would I?) If only I could still be THAT person. My roommates used to yell at me for not washing my hands enough and I teased my BFF relentlessly for once wearing a surgical mask while flying to avoid germs.

The real, crippling hypochondria returned in my mid-20s. I would worry ad nauseam about fatal diseases and believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was about to die from one. But even then I only worried about the real scary ones (cancer, AIDS, brain tumor, mad cow’s disease, African sleeping sickness...). Who doesn’t?

Unfortunately,  I now worry about even the fartin common cold. A slight pain in my head, probably due to dry scalp, becomes a warning sign for shingles. A sore throat is definitely throat cancer brought on by too much wine. Dizziness is not dehydration or the need to eat, but a brain tumor about to spring forth through my right eye. And heart burn is most certainly a heart attack.

And now we have to worry about the flu, which, if you listen to the media, is descending upon us this season like a plague on ALL of our houses. If you listen to the news, we are one step away from Gwyneth Paltrowesque seizure-inducing death a la Contagion. And if you're like me, scared of all medications and the flu shot (not for the needle, mind you, but for the 0.000001% chance I will have an allergic reaction to it), then you are playing Russian Roulette every time you step on the Metro North or the New York City subway. Despite the fact that I have had the flu many times and survived, my mind is now conjuring images of my funeral with family members shaking their heads and saying “if she only got the flu shot, she’d still be with us.”

So who do I blame? Commuters, of course. And their damned “presenteesim” (annoying jargon for the selfish, inconsiderate act of not staying home when one is brimming with illness and spewing their germs all over, getting everyone else sick in the process). Every morning on the train I cringe at the chorus of nonstop coughs that sound like a death rattle. I feel like I am riding the train with a bunch of mogwais who ate after midnight and are now in the process of turning into gremlins. Gremlins who blow their snot all over the place and cough up productive sputum, all while not covering their mouths and wiping their own spittle on their seat to infect the next innocent person to sit down.

Since I can’t just lock myself in my home until April, I have employed the following:

• Manic hand hygiene (my roommates would be proud that this act has gone from once a day [when showering] to multiple times, especially after riding public transport). I now see how OCD develops.

• Social isolation: hard in a city of 8 million, but I now walk to and from the train instead of riding the subway and avoid people at all costs, especially those who are sick.

• Vitamins: to boost my immune system, which in my head, is always failing.

There are only three things left to try:

• Wearing a surgical mask while cleverly hiding it under a big, stylish scarf.

• Starting a movement or campaign along the lines of Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" (to drugs). Mine can be called Just Stay Home (when you are sick and putrid).


• Living in a bubble.

Would that I could do the latter, readers! In my bubble, I’d be sitting in a reclining chair, reading my Nook, playing Bubble Witch Saga on my Ipad, watching Downton Abbey on the tele, and drinking a glass of Spanish wine. I’d wave to all of you from inside, happy as a sandboy, whatever the helladeria that means. You’d wave back with a look that says you "get me" . . . you know . . . with a faux, encouraging smile and nod. But secretly you'd be giving each other knowing glances, suggesting I be admitted to American Horror Story's Asylum, and whispering: “that AmyMC . . . she may be good for a random blog post, but boy is she BATSHIT CAHRAZY.”

10 comments:

  1. How much Spanish red wine are you drinking??? A glass every day has been proved to be healthy for your heart. I don't you are risking throat cancer unless you have also started smoking cigars... Have you?
    :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. In any case, who cares what people think if you are happy in your bubble. And since we only talk through Internet, I would not notice the difference at all...

    ...since I have always thought you are a little bit crazy! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moohatz. As the said BFF who was ridiculed for wearing a mask on a 12 hour flight to avoid said gremlins, and as the aforementioned BFF who ridiculed you for never washing your hands (even after using the bathroom!), I wholeheartedly stand by and encourage you to continue with all of the steps you are taking to stay healthy. In fact, I'll be joining you in the bubble. As soon as my youngest is over the flu that is...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, do people cover their mouths/noses when they sneeze/cough? If so, you're already worlds ahead of the public transporters here. Dirty looks in their general direction don't even work! They just keep sneezing, coughing all over the place. Two days ago I was sneering really hard at this beardo who was letting fly all over the bus, and finally he put his hand up, but only to start wiping away at the dribble that had landed in his moustache and beard, and of course that which was still streaming out his nose. I then watched, horrified, helpless, as he stood up, grabbed several seat backs and a couple of vertical bars to help himself up out of his seat and toward the door -- with that very same contaminated hand!! I vowed to fall over from the turning and braking of the bus before I'd touch anything after him.

    BTW, I cannot beLIEVE you used to not wash your hands even after using the bathroom!! Freeburn, thank you thank you for having saved her (but then, are you also to blame for present-day self-admitted hypochondria????).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think so, considering that even when she didn't wash her hands she was still convinced she had AIDS.

      Delete
  5. Throat cancer from drinking wine? I enjoyed your latest "Observations". Very funny and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, first off THANKS FOR SPOILING CONTAGION! It was next on my netflix queue and I had no idea what the movie was about or that Gweneth Paltrow dies! (or that she was even in it (or who she even is?)) Listen, I get that there are things in this world that are scary. For me it's cuticles. That's why I always wear condoms on my fingers. To protect my beautifully manicured fingers from getting cuticles (or STDs). So I get that you have fears...and that social isolation or living in a fart bubble would appeal to you and offer you safety. But social isolation is not the answer. I still go out. I still hit the clubs raising the roof with my condom fingers. Sure people look at me strangely at first, but they get it. Someone once said to me "even if you're scared of death, you still have to live." I think one of the presidents said it. (Ok, I made that up but doesn’t it sound good???)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaaaaaaa!!!!! Fart Bubble!!! That really is what it would turn into after spending all of your time in it. A big raging farty bubble. I love it. I'm moving in. Farts in a can for everyone!!! Amen brother. Sorry, no finger condoms allowed inside.

      Delete
  7. Hey I seem to remember you still didn't wash your hands after the bathroom, even in the height of your hypocondria! Paradox?

    All I can say is, Don't come to Shanghai! Not only are there a ridiculous amount of people, as you may have heard, putting one's hand over one's mouth when coughing or sneezing is positively frowned upon, and expectorating noisily and frequently is de rigeur. Nose picking in public is perfectly acceptable, clipping your nails on the metro will not attract strange looks (other than mine), and public bathrooms...enough to say that soap is a luxurious rarity, on a par with finding a £50 note blowing in the wind, and toilet paper is one's own responsibility - the fear of getting caught without which frequently brings me out in a cold sweat.

    Don't even get me started on second-hand smoke (more dangerous and ubiqitous than second-hand cars in a kazakstani garage) and air pollution - which, my new helpful app on my new helpful smartphone kindly informs me, is often 'Very Unhealthy' or 'Hazardous' levels, yet another reason to stay quivering behind the sofa in the dark clutching antibacterial gel and wearing a clinical mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lookee who we have 'ere! Your post cracked me up. I could never go to Shanghai for all of the above, AND because I risk getting stungunned on the airplane as I flail unabashedly screaming "we will all go down in flames!"

      Delete