Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Word to My Brother

This week’s blog entry is going to be a little different. Since personal blogs are, by definition, often self-absorbed and self-serving (i.e., listen to meeeeeee, it’s all about meeeee) I thought I’d change things up and give props (did I really just say that?) to another very talented person. My brother. And no, it’s not his birthday, I don’t owe him money and he’s not paying for this spot—but he and some friends did just win Best Music Video at the Cannes Independent Film Festival, and I thought that deserved a mention.

Artist, musician, writer, indie record label cofounder, and blog comment comedian extraordinaire, my brother’s multiple talents know no bounds. I could write a whole blog about him and his work (but one blog is hard enough to maintain and anyway, he already has one, so check it). Instead I will focus on this amazing Cannes award recently bestowed upon One Stuck Duck Productions for their animated video (Watch it here!) featuring the song ‘Test’ by the Subterraneans (that’s my brother’s cool and unique indie band formed with bandmate Josh Powers). Seriously…the Cannes Film Festival. How FN cool is that?

Music by the Subterraneans is a cool fusion of indie rock and poetic rap vocals. My bro and other Subs front man Josh Powers make all the music themselves with whatever instruments are lying around (be it a water bottle or a melodica!). The Subs have two albums (both available on their Web site and on itunes) and they are feverishly recording a new album as I type. Sometimes they even grace us with their presence by playing live in NYC and Boston.

Also, while I’m bragging, check my brother’s incredible artwork (and buy a painting while you’re at it, thanks). Hey, I’ve got no shame peddling my lil’ bro’s talents. I'm a big annoying older sister after all. So, check out the video, the songs, the artwork and send it to everyone you know, mmmkay?

Now, back to Meeeeeee.

14 comments:

  1. WOW! in Cannes... really IMPRESSING!

    Congratulations Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was really nice of you to blog about me! I blushed AND smiled, which isnt an easy thing to make me do! Esp at work when I'm trying to act smooth since girls walk by my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats lil' bruv!
    I watched the video and liked it very much.
    It must be terrible being so talented.

    I have done my bit by forwarding the link to my friend. If I had more friends I would forward it to them too. I also own a Subs CD. Good luck with the next album, look forward to hearing it.
    Lucky you have more musical talent than your big sis ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ECOL is a GOD, and not just musically and artistically. I've had various types of sex with him for at least an hour, and it was better than a warm domestic beer on a summer's day. Long live ECOL, world's greatest lovah, and pretty good at drawing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I just been trolling the interwebs stalk-- er, looking for artistick infermation on THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY! I had NO IDEA that my faverit bloger is ECOL's big sister! Wowzies! ECOL, PLEASE PLEAE PLESE call me again. I promise I'll do that thing. (PS: Where's CAnnes? I looked in the map and didn't saw it. Is it near Queens?) LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, so you ask for recognition in a song and you get it! Well done, ECOL! You're making everyone else feel bad, and if I'm not wrong, that is the point of having talent and success, innit? So, what kind of music DO you like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your brother is insanely talented and I'm starting to think it's because I've rubbed off on him! I kiiid, but seriously that's an amazing accomplishment to have his song win Best Video at Cannes. He's basically good at anything he does and I envy that! At least now I can say I know a celebrity!

    Side note: Eric, falling back in your chair at work is a sure way to get the ladies' attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Women, stop flirting with ECOL, he is mine man! E, PLESE right me with that e-mail I gave you after we did you know what that time. I like whatever music you like esepcially you're music because you are such talendte!!! And HOTTIE!!! LUV 4EVAH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josep - Thanks!
    Baron - Thanks!
    Candee - I remember the name but not the face...
    Shannen D - Uh...
    Jana Lia - So true! I like 'everything but country'. No, I kid, I love country.
    Pam - LMAO. Thank GAWD your the only girl who saw that. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My little late bloomer! You done great, kid!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ERik, I see I left you speachless like the last time!!!!!! That was so awesome remember!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That video was sick, makes me want to quite my job and go home and do some stop motion filming of my transformers and gi joes.

    song was pretty good too.

    how come none of your websites are updated though? I could use a new, cool, custom, discounted ;) painting for my apartment

    Anyways, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having known Eskrilla for years, I can say with confidence that he was the bomb at 15 and he's still pretty damn cool now. Although, it would be hard not to wind up on top with the influence of your sister...and more importantly her college roommates:))
    Congrats on Cannes, that's major!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Indeed. I always knew there was something special about Eric. Maybe it was the fact that he too farted in a can and sent it to a loved one, in his youth.
    Please don't forget to add to his many accomplishments his design of the Sista Choch Revival CDs, both 1 and 2....and you thought Cannes was impressive?!

    ReplyDelete