Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Mysterious Practice of “Who’s last in line?”

I was at Kmart (I know, I shop there way too much) this past weekend, gazing forlornly at the lack of staff at the checkout counters—only one line was open—and watching the zombie consumers waiting for their turn. I wasn’t happy at the prospect of losing crucial minutes of my life while the easily distracted cashier waded through the queue slower than shi-at rolling uphill. But I conformed and took my place. Periodically the person at the customer service counter would shout “Next person on line IN ORDER step to the customer service desk.” This resulted in momentary mayhem, as the more anal variety of customer staunchly refused to move from their position, while the annoying customers jostled to steal the spot. The line undid and redid itself accordingly.

Suddenly a multitasking woman approached (she was juggling items in her hands, fishing her wallet out of her purse, and talking on her cell phone by using her shoulder to hold the phone to her ear. “What am I supposed to do?” she whined at the cashier. “Which line?” The cashier repeated that IN ORDER people could switch to the newly opened check out. “But nobody is moving!” she complained, all a flutter, in a self-important voice.

“You’re in Kmart,” I reminded her before shaking my head and moving up one place in line. As I watched the line slowly crawl forward, I was impressed by how, despite a few hiccups, it stayed in form. While my fellow Americans, and perhaps the Brits reading my blog, may take for granted that a line (or queue) is generally an organized formation of people who stand one right after the other in the order they arrived, there is a strange and chaotic alternative system that people use in Catalonia, Spain, where I lived for much of my adult life.

The system has no name that I’m aware of, but I like to call it ¿Quien es el ultimo? (Who’s last in line?). This is how it works: you walk into a store, bank, bakery, post office, doctor’s office, etc. Instead of a line, you see a shambles–people all over the place, some sitting, some standing, some sneaking a cigarette outside. You shout “Who’s last in line?” A few people answer at once and you determine who’s telling the truth. You then remember that you go after that person (I’m after the teenage girl with her buttcrack hanging out of her unreasonably tight pants, for example).

I learned about the system the hard way my first year living in Barcelona. I had gone to the post office to mail out chapters of my novel to some publishers (I was still optimistic back then). There I was with stacks of huge heavy envelopes, waiting my turn for over a half hour and antsy about getting back to work. Just as I was about to place the envelops down on the counter, an old lady jumped up and c-blocked me.

“Hey, it’s my turn,” I shouted in Spanish.

“No, I was next.” She insisted. “It’s just that I was sitting.”

“You snooze you lose,” I said. Well actually, I don’t think you can translate that into Spanish, but it was something along those lines.

“No. I was next. I was after her,” the woman said, pointing to the person who’d just finished in front of me. Baffled and about to go postal (no pun intended), I left in a rage and had to ask a local friend to explain the bewildering concept to me.

The system gets even more confusing when in a doctor’s office and you have to take a number as if at a deli counter. Instead of quien es el ultimo, you have to check your number and then ask who has the number before you. So basically you walk into a waiting room and shout “¿quien tiene el numero 36?” for example, while everyone digs in their pockets to find their crumpled number and someone finally shouts “yo!” (Ok, I’m after the barrel-like woman with purple hair.)

Problem with the practice: there’s a specific type of person who takes advantage of the system—defies it, lies, and usurps you every time: the old, rotund, Catalan woman. These elderly women are large, in charge, as wide as they are tall and don’t take crap from anyone. They are not fragile, vulnerable grannies who get their purses snatched on the street. They’re not frail—they can and will knock you on your ass while trying to get on or off a train and they’ll pretend to be the “ultima” even when they’re not.

So while I was annoyed to be waiting on line in Kmart, and even more annoyed at flutter woman and her stupid cell phone, I actually cracked a smile at the prospect of standing in an organized fashion, and not having to submit to the chaos and mysterious inner workings of the phenomenon quien es el ultimo.

7 comments:

  1. True, true
    But I have to add two points. First, the Catalan system is more efficient when the available space is limited (probably not the case of Kmart). It's difficult to form a line in a reduced space, so it's more efficient to wait wherever you want keeping the line "in your mind".
    Second: the system has a HUGE flaw. What happens when somebody gets tired of waiting and goes away without saying anything? The basic rule of education is that you have to tell the person behind you who is before you in the line (madame, you are now behind the "teenage girl with her buttcrack hanging out of her unreasonably tight pants") , so everybody still know his position in the line. But what happens if you leave and tell nobody... CAOS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about when you go to an establishment that has 5 registers in one perpendicular row, let's say McDonalds. Should the people form 5 individual lines, or one line and the front person just goes to the next available cashier? I only ask because I go to McDonalds A LOT and this information would benefit my next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ECOL: I too have wondered this very thing when going to Duane Reade where there always seems to be confusion and resulting arguments over whether there are five separate lines or one main line, despite the various signs specifying the system in place. I personally prefer the ONE LINE FEED, although it does take a lot of energy to rapidly move eyes back and forth in search of next available cashier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. The one line approach is quite fair. This way you don't have to second guess which line you should join. As we all know, the shortest ALWAYS ends up being the longest due to someone who doesnt just have a simple transaction. No, they have an item that doesnt have a price. Or they want to return something without a receit. Or they are chatty. Or something of equal annoyance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it highly ironic that, in the seemingly most inconsequential detail of the above observation, which is part of a wildly successful public web log, (it may not have many readers, but that is simply due to it's lack of exposure. Every post results in many joyful reactions and even sparks interesting conversation resulting from the audience's exposure to the author's unique observations and her masterful relating of them. As far as writing for an audience goes, that is the definition of success. I encourage the other readers to respond here with their opinions of this blog.) it is revealed that the author is no longer "optimistic" about being published. The success of this blog brings into question the reason for the very status which our beloved hostess has chosen to put on her marquee. It is evidence that it is neither lack of talent nor an inability to keep an audience. It also questions the validity and necessity of the quotes around the word writer. Every word underneath this space's title is more glorious proof that she is certainly not just a quote, unquote writer, used there to show something which is proclaimed but which reality refutes, but the real deal indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! Remember it well...oh, the confusion!
    First time I went to the doctors was the best, getting the deli counter ticket and trying to find who was before me. Why can't they just announce the numbers! Not even the barrels seemed to know the score, and they were at the docs every other day. Either that or they were conning me...

    As a Brit, I can proudly claim to come from a civilised land where we have refined and perfected the art of queueing. And take note, you yankees: it's a 'queue', not a 'line'!
    I must say though, the deli ticket system has been implemented at our local post office, with much resultant confusion. I like to take a couple of tickets, one for 'counter services' and one for 'stamps and mail', and see which number comes up first. Adds an element of excitement to an otherwise humdrum trip to the post office.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew waiting in line could be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete