Tuesday, April 6, 2010

National Filter Free Day

One of my favorite comic moments is when Ben Stiller, playing the seemingly friendly old age home orderly turns into a geriatric's worst nightmare after Adam Sandler leaves his grandmother’s room in Happy Gilmore. The poor old granny asks for a cup of milk, to which Stiller replies: “You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up!”

Man, sometimes I wish I could throw my inner filter to the wind and say what I really want. Like when I was hired in a family-owned company in Spain as an editor but was treated like a secretary by my superiors. The boss’s son, with his permascowl that we coworkers dubbed his ‘constipation face,’ constantly called me into the office so that I could “put him through” to some bigwig on the phone and make him look important. Instead of a pathetic “Si, claro!” and nervous giggle when he leaned forward with that irritating frown and asked, “Can you do that for me?” I could have said: “Actually, I can’t do that for you Jose. What I can do is ask you to bend over so I can manually insert this phone into your rectum…loosen things up a bit.” I spent many an office daydream imagining this scenario and laughing out loud at the thought of his shocked face and mouth agape.

Or yesterday, it happened twice in the elevator, which I pray each day will get me to or from the 19th floor in anything fewer than ten minutes. When one girl got in and hit floor two, I wanted to say: “Are you FN kidding me? You can’t walk up one flight of stairs ya lazy piece o'...?” And again when we hit floor 15 and two wide loads insisted on squeezing themselves into the already crammed space…how I longed to say: “get the hell outta hea!” Instead, both times I said a meek hello.

And oh, how I would love to cut the Office Tidbitter off at the chase when, after telling him I can’t talk due to my workload, he insists on giving me vital information such as “I drank a beer last night.” If I had no filter, I could interrupt and say “upupupupup…I said I’m busy. Zip. It.”

I won’t even bother opening the can of worms of what I’d say to my fellow commuters…

Anyway this train of thought came about because one of my BFFs in Barcelona is moving flats, partly because of her inconsiderate noisy upstairs neighbors, who, although having been asked diplomatically to keep it down, continue to drag furniture around and stomp with shoes on well past midnight. We recently came up with lame revenge techniques for when she moves…putting a bag of steaming crap on their doorstep, breaking a toothpick off in their lock, ripping their name off their mailbox and replacing it with something nasty. But wouldn’t it be great if instead she could just run upstairs, knock and yell “I’m moving. Lata muthhhhaaa F**CKAASSS" in the style of Ken Jeong in The Hangover?

I’m proposing that we make these fantasies a reality and declare a National Filter Free Day. Why not? It’s not any sillier than April Fool’s Day or Valentine’s Day. So in the words of “Seven Minute Abs” guy from Something About Mary...You in?

7 comments:

  1. Oh man, what a crazy day that would be...
    **camera zooms in on my face as a warping effect blurs the image indicating a fantasy sequence**

    "Does this dress make me look fat?" "Babe, YOU make you look fat"

    "Can you spare some change?" "I could, but I'd prefer to spare some advice. Get a fuckin JOB"

    "Is it... me??" "Actually, yes. I was going to say it's not you, it's me... but it is in fact you."

    "Are you in line?" "Nooo I'm just standing here because I'm confused. Is this a line? So weeeird."

    "Oh man so the other day..." "Don't talk to me. Thx"

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the other cars on the road while I'm driving: "Now that you've nosed into my lane before looking, why the F would you stop now that you see you've cut me off?????". "Why is everyone randomly braking just because you see a cop car? We're not speeding!!!!". "High holy hell, it's just a flip darn fender bender, snap that rubber outta ya neck and just drive past it!!!!".

    Aahhhhh thank you NFFD. Can we have these once a week?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Filterless Friday... better than Casual Friday, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, you've inspired me. I'm seriously considering having someone film me going upstairs and using your suggested quote ("I’m moving. Lata muthhhhaaa F**CKAASSS!") -- in English, of course -- with my own improvised finger gestures to accompany. I've got three more weeks to mull it over, as I sit under them scowling at the ceiling as bits of it crumble down into my glass of wine. n the meantime, I'm still stickin' it to them, lame-style. That's right, they'll nevah have another mailbox label as long as I'm still here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea. We could do with a NFFD here in Britain. No one says what they're really thinking. It's all about tedious small talk and niceties. We insist on talking about the weather or our recent car journeys in great detail. "I came up the A420, what was the old A58. No, via Little Bottomswipe. I stopped for 12 minutes at Great Hornsbury services. They have a Costa Coffee there now. I paid 13 pounds fifty for an Americana and low-fat blueberry muffin. Scandalous. I got held up coming into Tinkersham. Roadworks. You never see any workman though do you, just rows of cones..." etc.

    Woahwoahwoahwoah...hold it there - you left your house, you drove from A to B, I don't care how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My problem is I actually say those things at work. When they ask me to work until 10pm when Im supposed to go home at 6pm to run and play video games I let out this huge sigh of frustration and make a fuss. They don't like that too much.

    As far as driving goes, I wish I could pull people over at will for driving like idiots. Yes I drive fast and probably dangerously, but I pay attention, I always use my blinkers, and if I cut you off it's because Im trying to go a lot faster than you and will be out of your sight in about 5 seconds. I also don't camp out in the left lane for no reason, drive with my lights off when they're needed or slam on the brakes as I pass a cop car who already clocked me on the radar a mile back.

    I'd like to read people's minds though so I know what stuff isn't getting through the filter about me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my filter has been damaged for some time already, since I try to be nice and polite in my answers, but my face normaly expresses exactly what I'm feeling. So NFFD wouldn't change much in my like, except by the fact I would be a lot more relaxed...

    Anyway, what I would really like to know is, have you used you filter with me???

    ReplyDelete