Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shiny Happy Blogger

It’s come to my attention from a “fan” or two whose names shall remain anonymous that I am, at times, an “angry blogger.” My first reaction to this was: “WTF Mofo!” I mean, angry, moi? No, no, no, no. Admittedly, I'm occasionally impatient, once in a blue moon irritated, and, rarely, antisocial, but most people who know me would say I’m almost always friendly, fun and kindhearted. Besides, it’s not my fault that people suck.

So this blog is going to be a happy blog. Yay! After all, what’s there not to be happy about? The sun is shining and it’s broken 50 degrees two days running! Yay! Two articles I've recently read suggest that red wine makes women gain less weight and might aid in digestion.** Perfect! Mamma needs a bottle o' wine! I’ve been in such a good mood, in fact, that last night on my train ride home, I did not awaken the chubby, sweaty, bald, snoring man who decided to lay on my shoulder for an hour and fifteen minutes, lifting his dome only to cough in my ear or as backlash from an extra violent snort. Anything for a fellow commuter! Nor did I scoff at the screaming babe whose wails pierced my ears as I commuted in this morning (I do believe, after all, that the children are our future).

And there are other reasons the glass is half full! The Olympics are finally over, I no longer have to pretend to be interested when people talk about them, no more ‘O Canada’, and my couch potatoism and crappy nighttime television programs can resume their rightful place in my life. The office tid-bitter is keeping his distance (for now). And, in possibly the best news of the week, my favorite actress, Sandra Bullock, who is so deep and multilayered, finally got the recognition she deserves at the Oscars this year! Whoohoo Sandy! Now if only James Cameron would be recognized for his killer dialogue...all would be well with the universe!

So…hmm…how bout them Mets? Look here--it’s just no use. Sometimes I like to vent, is all. And where better to do it? I started this blog for two reasons. One was to get my creative juices flowing. I do write other stuff you know. Novels and whatnot. And they’re not angry. The second was to catalogue observations that I thought might amuse or resonate with others. So, I observe a lot of annoying people. The world is full of them. Is annoyance too in the eye of the beholder? Do other people walk around smiling all day? Is it really just me? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am an angry blogger, mmmkay? And while I most certainly will have happy blogging days, for now I just feel like bitching. Deal with it!

**Excuses to drink up:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/women-drinkers-gain-less-weight/?em

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/09/health/09real.html?em

6 comments:

  1. Woah, you really scared me for a minute. I was about to unsubscribe from this crappy happy blog, but thank god you've stayed true to yourself because what in the world would I do otherwise? I am so sick of losing my sarky narky friends to sudden insights into meditative one-worldism or tame conversations that start with "Well, now that I'm a parent...". And you know how I never talk sh*t about you because you're the person I talk sh*t about everyone else with and, let's just face it: If you suddenly became a James Cameron fan or stopped looking sideways in disgust at people doing stuff then how could I justify my anger toward those old ladies whose feet dangle and don't touch the floor on the metro or who spell "definitely" with an "a"? Oh, Amy, never change... otherwise, when I'm wigging out, who will I call to feel better because she's wigging out more than I am at any given moment??? (BTW, I like Sandra Bullock and enjoyed her interview with Barbara Walters before the Oscars ceremony.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo you've chosen the Dark Side. That's fine if you're ok with your demise being handed to you by a whiny one handed kid waiving a green light saber. Although, this blog would be far less entertaining if it was about happy shit. I can see it now:

    ***Observations of a really happy person***

    Hello beautiful friends! Today was a glorious day indeed! Whilst leaving for work I had the pleasure of observing a friendly carpenter bee pollinate a blooming flower. As I stood there smiling, a hummingbird whispered a song into my ear. Just then a frog skipped by and croaked 'Have a good day at work ribbit!' Oh what a morning. I was filled with so much merriment that flatulence accidentally escaped me. But, to my pleasant surprise it smelled of baby's breath and lavender. Then it was off to work listening to my Kenny Gs greatest hit collection in my walkman cassette player. Oh life, how I love thee.

    Soo yeah, stick to what you're doing. We're all enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where on earth did I get these two? Happy and Happier... We should make a movie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are not an angry blogger... you just enjoy criticizing everyone around you, and that's funny! I'm not sure if that's sthg strange in the US, but here in Barcelona we LOVE to criticize everyone, so maybe it's a bad habit you took from us. Anyway, I love it, so don't change the way you write. And even in this one, the "happy blog", you can't stop complaining about people you meet in the train, people you meet at work, people that love the Olympics... wait, almost everyone!

    Don't change your style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ECOL's comments are great! Does he have a blog?

    Sandra Bollock won an Oscar?? Who did she sleep with, er, I mean, what role did she play to win that one? Please don't tell me it was that poor man's Erin Brockovich that I recently saw a trailer for, about helping the down and out black man?

    I think angry/miserable people are generally more interesting. Reminds me of How To Be Good by Nick Hornby - the 'Angriest man in Holloway' who writes a column. Then he becomes enlightened and really boring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Baron. I only have a blog for my arts, not my stupid banter.

    ReplyDelete